Have you ever considered drinking your cannabis? For most, it is taboo, unchartered territory. For others, it is stigmatized - defamed by its early counterparts as being “gross” or “too hashy.” In reality, cannabis-infused drinks have progressed leaps and bounds in flavor and consistency over the last decade and are truly the future of the cannabis industry. This small sub-category of the market is exponentially growing in popularity by the day. Why?
For thousands of years, drinking alcohol has kept us company. It is a sacrament, a medicine, a communal ritual, and over everything a social lubricant. It is celebrated in song and prose. It transcends cultures. It is a socially accepted catalyst for great conversations, big ideas, intimate moments, and new experiences.
Historically, humanity has turned to drinking in good times and bad. But recent studies have revealed that drinking alcohol even in moderation (1-2 drinks per day) puts you substantially higher at risk for stroke and disease. Further, nearly half of all alcohol consumers are now consuming cannabis in fully legal states (like California or Colorado) making the market ripe with opportunity according to BDS Analytics.
With legalization sweeping the nation and these new notions in mind, more and more people are turning to cannabis drinks to fulfill their thirst for liquid company.
Why Cannabis Drinks over alcohol and other traditional edibles?
- Cannabis drinks provide a more social experience! Unlike smoking a joint or vaping, you do not need to step outside the party to enjoy a cannabis beverage. With Keef, you can stay inside the party, join in the toasts, keep the conversations going and share in all the good times. Cheers!
- Cannabis drinks offer the opportunity to genuinely enjoy them! Forget indulging with a single gummy or piece of chocolate and knowing if you have another it may not end well. Sip on an entire 12 fl oz can of Keef at your leisure. Savor the experience!
- Cannabis drinks have a quicker uptake than other edibles including gummies, chocolates, and all cannabis baked goods. A quicker uptake means that the effects of Keef will onset sustainably sooner than your typical edible. This is most ideal for consumers new to the cannabis space because it highly reduces the chances of consuming “too much” or getting “too high” when one may not have waited long enough to feel the maximum effects. Continue reading this blog post to learn more about how and why this occurs.
- Cannabis drinks offer consistent and reliable effects every time. Unlike most edible products, the infusion of THC into drinks allows the delivery of medication to be more efficient which highly reduces unexpected and adverse effects. Continue reading this blog post to learn the science behind it.
- Drinking your cannabis does not result in miserable hangovers like the aftermath of drinking alcohol does. There is no need to worry about the same repercussions that alcohol may have on you the next day.
- Cannabis drinks offer a buzz without causing harm or irritation to your respiratory system. They also do not contain the carcinogens that enter the body when vaping, dabbing or smoking flower.
- Lower potency cannabis drinks often hit harder than more potent cannabis edibles. This is because most cannabis edibles must be fully digested in the stomach before absorption or delivery into the body begins. The unique chemistry of a cannabis beverage allows absorption to begin immediately inside the mouth. Continue reading this blog post if you are interested to learn more about how and why this occurs.
- The flexibility is real! One of the many beauties of cannabis drinks, is that you have a lot of flexibility with how you can consume them. Simply pour it over ice, get creative and mix one with one of your favorite non-alcoholic beverages for a custom cannabis concoction. Add them to your cooking or baking recipes for a tasty cannabis treat or enjoy them over ice cream for a nostalgic ice cream float... The cannabis drink world is your oyster!
Keef’s Proprietary Infusion Process using Nanoemulsions
But wait, doesn’t cannabis oil not mix with liquids? Yes, cannabis oil is a lipophilic substance, which means it is “fat-loving” and has poor solubility in liquid environments. To paint you a clear picture, imagine mixing water and olive oil while cooking. The two will remain separate as much as you try to combine them together for a consistent mixture. Now swap the olive oil out for cannabis oil, and you will experience the exact same thing.
Simply put, without an expertise in chemistry and innovative technology, it is extremely difficult to produce cannabis-infused drinks that are and will remain completely homogenous, containing the same amount of THC from your first sip to your last. This is the primary reason why cannabis drinks have received such a bad name over the years. The inability to maintain a homogeneous mixture creates for poor tastes, inconsistent effects, and dissatisfied indulgers.
To combat these problems, Keef, the #2 cannabis-infused beverage brand (by dollars sold) YTD 2020 in all BDS Analytics tracked markets, uses its own proprietary infusion process with the key ingredient being what is called nanoemulsions. Keef’s nanoemulsions are created using innovative ultrasonic technology that breaks down the THC cannabinoids into tiny nanoparticles that cannot be seen by the human eye. The THC nanoparticles are then encapsulated or locked within an emulsifier, a substance used to make an emulsion or diffusion of a fixed oil, that keeps the THC oil separate and prevents it from bonding back together.
Did we lose you? Don’t feel bad - this is complicated stuff. Just think back to the example of mixing olive oil and water. The nanoemulsions are created to hold the THC cannabinoids evenly dispersed in water for consistent and precise dosing every time.
Another beauty of nanoemulsions is that it allows for more rapid and successful delivery of THC into the body. The absorption of the medication in cannabis drinks made with nanoemulsions begins inside the mouth through saliva. This expedites the onset to occur in about 30 minutes or less. Conventional edibles such as cannabis-infused baked goods and chocolates need to be fully digested for absorption to begin, which is why it takes up to 4 hours or even more to feel the full effect. This delay in onset has been found to be tremendously problematic and highly increases the chance of an unpleasant experience. This is especially true for unseasoned or first-time users causing many to never return to edibles.
The initial absorption of THC in the mouth also causes lower potency cannabis drinks to hit harder than more potent edibles. A study that examined the delivery of THC into the body, found that a consumer who eats a gummy or brownie containing 20mg THC may absorb as little as 6% of the total THC. Meaning that of the 20mg of THC ingested, approximately 1.2mg will be delivered to the bloodstream.
In contrast, another study investigating the absorption of nanoemulsions into the body, found that a consumer who indulges with a cannabis drink contains 20mg of THC may absorb as much as over 90% of the total THC. This means that a consumer would potentially experience the effects of about 18mg of THC surpassing that of a traditional edible by leaps and bounds.
The bottom line…
Keef’s cannabis drinks are by far the most efficient, consistent and reliable option when wanting to enjoy cannabis!
Two worlds: alcohol and cannabis. Both paralleled and united by the basic human desire for connection, celebration, and solace - now in one. According to BDS Analytics, 20% of cannabis consumers are now consuming cannabis drinks in fully legal US markets, with top reasons for consuming being to relax, feel peaceful, and to have fun. Keef’s cannabis drinks have remixed the formula. They have blended all the best parts of drinking: the social, the celebratory, the escape, with the magic and joy of cannabis. It is the best of both worlds poured into every bottle of Keef they make. ….. And they make each bottle to exacting standards that blend the art and science of cannabis infusion with a range of delicious familiar flavors. For the enjoyment of all.